Seniors Maintaining Active Roles Together (SMART)
The VON SMART© Group Exercise Program offers functional fitness classes to community members 55+ who wish to improve their strength, balance, and flexibility. Exercises can be done sitting or standing, and there are no floor or mat routines. Classes are suitable for active, healthy seniors, as well as those with mobility restrictions, arthritis, osteoporosis, or chronic illness. Emphasis is place on working at an individual pace.
SMART© classes are VON-designed, research-based programs providing a safe and effective exercise routine that can assist in maintaining independence, health and well-being. Classes consist of a warm-up, cardio-respiratory exercises, balance work for falls prevention, strength training and stretching. Classes feature great music and are fun, friendly, and free!
VON SMART© Exercise Programs are led by adult volunteers who receive extensive training, including CPR and First Aid, in order to deliver safe and functional physical exercise classes designed for healthy aging. Exercise groups are offered at locations throughout Durham Region. In addition to regular classes, VON SMART© offers specialty classes for participants living with Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis, mental health challenges, or who are recovering from a stroke. Classes generally take place from September to June, and registration is on-going.
Benefits of VON SMART© Programs include:
- Improve physical health, mobility, independence, and energy.
- Increase and maintain strength, coordination, balance and flexibility – which in turn help to prevent falls.
- Manage weight and improve lung and heart function.
- Help to manage chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, stress, arthritis, and osteoporosis.
- Provide opportunities to meet new people and socialize.
Charitable Number: 119 284 453 RR0001